Dr Mark Stewart
MB ChB (Otago), FRACS
place57 Collingwood Street, Nelson 7010, New Zealand
phone03 548 4994
Consultant Bariatric, Laparoscopic and Endoscopic Surgeon at:
- Manuka Street Hospital
- Nelson Hospital
Mark was made a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 2016. During this training he gained a particular interest in treating obesity, as well as interests across general surgery with the intention of serving provincial New Zealand. His skills in these areas were consolidated with a year of extended scope general surgery as Fellow at Royal Darwin Hospital, and a year of focused upper gastrointestinal and bariatric surgery Fellowship at Joondalup Health Campus, Perth. Mark has performed a high volume of bariatric surgery with excellent results.
Since 2019, Mark has established a multidisciplinary bariatric programme in Nelson which provides wrap-around care. At Nelson Hospital he has responsibility for upper gastrointestinal disease.
Mark is a member of the Australia and New Zealand Metabolic and Obesity Surgery Society, the New Zealand Association of General Surgeons, and General Surgeons Australia, and is a Clinical Lecturer with the Dunedin School of Medicine.
Mark can be consulted to treat general surgical conditions in the following areas:
- Obesity and Bariatric surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery, including upper GI, gallbladder, bowel and hernias
- Benign upper gastrointestinal disease, including reflux, hiatus hernias, and achalasia
- Gastroscopy and Colonoscopy
- Benign anorectal disease, including haemorrhoids, anal fissures and fistulae
- Skin lesions and skin cancer